When using a password manager enable two-factor authentication! This can be a text message or an OTP generator (One Time Password), such as Google Authenticator or Yubikey. They can be attached to your account and required each time you log in. This sounds like more work, but once you've gotten used to using it, it makes it almost impossible for someone to break into any of your accounts.
Introduction to WordPress
The Definitive Beginners Guide to WordPress aims to explain WordPress in a manner that anyone can understand. Let us show you how easy getting started with WordPress can be.
WordPress has been around for almost two decades. It’s one of the most popular content management systems online, with thousands of themes and plugins to choose from, there’s no shortage of what it can do. Along with being so versatile, it also makes it very complicated for beginners to use, especially those who have never used it at all.
On Budget Services has been building and developing WordPress websites for over ten years, which has allowed us to learn a thing or two about using it. This year, we’ve decided that we’re going to start providing more content to our viewers geared around using and understanding WordPress. We figured the best place to start is at the very beginning, so that is what the focus of this guide will be.
We’ll be releasing one blog post a week until the guide is complete. We will do our best to break this guide up into usable chunks and keep it from a linear progression, which allows you to skip or jump to a particular topic, without needing prior knowledge.
Here is a breakdown of the entire guide from start to finish. This list may update as the guide progresses, so be sure to bookmark this index for future reference.
Table of Contents:
- What is WordPress?
- How do I start with WordPress?
- Why is it necessary, and why should I use it?
- Can I edit my new WordPress website?
- What is the WordPress dashboard?
- How to use posts?
- What’s the difference between posts and pages?
- How do I build or edit a page?
- How do I build or edit a post?
- Should I start blogging? How?
- What’s a widget?
- What is a sidebar?
- How do I edit the sidebar?
- What are WordPress menus?
- How do I make a WordPress menu?
- Should I build a custom design WordPress website, or pick a pre-made theme?
- How do I select a pre-made WordPress theme?
- How do I install a WordPress theme?
- Why are there so many plugins and which ones do I need?
- How do I install a WordPress plugin?
- My website’s ready to launch, how do I publish it?
- How do I make sure Google can see my website?
- Should I worry about optimizing my WordPress website?
- Should I worry about search engine optimization?
- Is my new WordPress website secure?
- How do I make sure my new WordPress website doesn’t get infected?
- Help! Google says my WordPress website is infected?
How can we help?
The best advice we can give to beginners is not to give up! WordPress can be very complicated, but you can learn it, and you can figure it out. Take your time and use our guide to help you along your path. Remember, we’re always happy to help in any way we can. Drop us a line and let us know what problems you may be facing.
You can submit your questions using our contact us form, or you can use the comments box below and ask your question there. Also, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter, we publish monthly with all sorts of information for new and experienced WordPress users.
What new and exciting projects are you working on this year? Let us know in the comments below. We’d love to hear about them.
There is an unlimited number of websites, blogs, YouTube channels, or knowledgebases that contain all the information needed to answer any of your WordPress questions. This list is by no means complete, nor is it insinuating that these resources are better than others. Please use these resources as a complement to our guide, or a way to build upon what you learn. We will continue to add to this list as time progresses.
WPBeginner offers a large number of beginner guides, tutorials, and resources for those just getting started with WordPress.
WordPress’s own beginner is a great resource. Learn from the makers themselves!
WordPress Codex – This is also managed and maintained by WordPress, this one includes more advanced topics as well, while still going over all the basics.
Author: Mike Bowden
Subscriber to Our Monthly Newsletter
Our monthly newsletter is chock-full of useful information about WordPress, tech how-to's, beginners' guides, monthly tech tips, and much more.
We've been building, managing, and hosting websites for decades. We'd love to create yours!
Do you still have some questions for us? Let us know. We're happy to answer any of your questions.
Existing customer and need support? Submit a ticket below, and we'll get back asap.
Oops! We could not locate your form.